Applying to university: The personal statement... #2

October 06, 2016
I'm back with another post in my applying to university series and today we are going to be talking about that dreaded personal statement, the 4000 characters that determine, for the most part, whether or not you're getting into university. Not scary at all...

Over the past few months, I have been compiling ideas for my personal statement but these last few weeks,  I decided to finally start my first draft as I hate leaving everything until the last minute. I knew that it would be hard but I didn't realise that it would be this hard. I know what I want to write but I'm having two main problems which are 1) I'm someone who writes way too much. It's a bad habit and I should probably stop, especially when I end up writing an essay for a 2 mark question during exams and 2) I have no idea how to structure it.

I've been looking at so many templates online but none of it seems to click properly in my head, especially considering a lot of these templates mention in school achievements etc when I just do not have any of those... this is difficult and I don't like it.

I know it'll be worth it in the end because I will be where I finally want to be(hopefully) but this process is really quite strenuous.

It has also made me realise that I really do not have a great deal of interests outside of my blog so it's hard to fit that in to my chosen degree which is psychology. I also find that writing a personal statement for psychology is pretty hard because you don't want to sound like you're generalising it too much but equally, you don't want to sound like you've just copied something off of the internet. I want to show my passion for the subject but I have no idea how to do that in a way that'll make them love me. Does anyone have any ideas?

Anyway, I'll be back soon with another applying to university update, I hope you're all having a great day and enjoying me trying to do Blogtober! (3 days in a row is pretty impressive...right?)

- Lauryn


No comments:

Powered by Blogger.